4-5 pounds KOL Foods beef pot roast (Kaluchel, Deckel, Butcher or Silver Tip Roasts work well)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour or matzo flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
6 ounce can tomato paste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups beef stock
3-4 sprigs thyme
1 large bay leaf
2 dried red chili peppers
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Rinse and dry the beef. In a dish, mix the flour with the salt, pepper and paprika. Dredge the beef in the flour mixture, to coat it on all sides.
3. Pour 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the meat and cook, turning the meat occasionally, for about 8 minutes, to brown the surface. Remove the meat and set it aside.
4. Add the remaining vegetable oil to the pan. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar and stock, stir with a whisk to blend the ingredients.
5. Return the meat to the pan. Add the thyme, bay leaf and chili peppers. Grate the nutmeg over the ingredients. Bring to a boil then remove the pan from the heat.
6. Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Cook for 3 hours.
7. Add the squash and cranberries. Cook for another 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is soft and the vegetables tender.
Makes 6 servings