By Robert M Joppa
1, KOL Foods pastured whole broiler or roaster (2-7 lbs)
1 large onion, sliced into disks
1 lemon (you can sub with any citrus)
1 small bunch of fresh thyme sprigs
1-2 fresh sage sprigs
1-2 fresh rosemary sprigs
kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup water or white wine for deglazing
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (large, 5lb+ birds should be cooked at 375). Let chicken come to room temperature for about 30 minutes on the counter.
2. Arrange onion slices on the bottom of a roasting pan without rack or use standard 9x13 pan.
3. Wash chicken under cool running water. Dry well, inside and out with paper towels and set in pan directly on top of sliced onions. Salt and pepper the chicken inside and out. Put herbs inside chicken cavity. With a sharp knife, pierce the lemon about 6 times and stuff inside bird with herbs. Optional: tie drums together.
4. Roast chicken for 60-90 minutes until juices, near thigh joint, run clear (larger birds might require 2 hours).
5. Remove bird from pan and let rest for 10-15 minutes. While chicken rests, deglaze roasting pan over high heat on stove with water or white wine and make gravy from pan drippings (thicken with a little flour or arrow root).
6. Carve chicken and serve. Optional: retain and freeze skin, bones and any unused pan drippings for making stock [recipe
White Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio