2 large onions, roughly chopped
1/4 cup water
2 lbs KOL Foods grass-fed ground lamb
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon flour
4 sheets pre-made puff pastry dough, thawed
2 eggs, whisked
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and water and saute until caramelized, around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
3. In the same pan, add the ground lamb, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, slat, ginger, cayenne pepper, and black pepper and cook over medium-high heat until cooked through, around 5-7 minutes. Stir the lamb mixture occasionally.
4. Add the caramelized onions the the cooked ground lamb mixture. Stir in the all-purpose flour until the flour has dissolved completely and the liquid from the meat has reduced, about 2 minutes over medium-high heat. The lamb mixture should be thick.
5. On a flat surface, slightly roll out the puff pastry dough in a 10 inch square. With a sharpe knife, slice the pastry into six squares. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of meat into the center of each square. Brush the edges of the squares with the egg.
6. Fold the squares over the filling to form a triangle. With a fork, press down the edges to seal the turnovers.
7. Place the turnovers a few inches apart on four baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with the egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.
NOTE: turnovers can be made ahead of time and frozen. To reheat, defrost fully cooked turnovers in refrigerator over night, place on a baking sheet and reheat until warm.