Reuse, recycle, and make your flowers grow!
KOL Foods is excited to use only eco-friendly jute & cotton fiber coolers. The cooler's natural insulation is made from post-consumer recycled jute coffee bags and pre-consumer recycled cotton fabric scraps. Both of these materials would otherwise go into a landfill in the USA, so even when coolers are put in the regular trash, no new material enters landfills. Best of all, these cooler liners are made from 100% plant-based fibers and are sourced in the USA, placing a much lower burden on the environment than traditional Styrofoam coolers.
Life Cycle of a Jute & Cotton Cooler
1. The cotton (pictured) for our coolers is grown in Texas and the jute is grown in India.
2. The cotton is harvested and made into cloth and the jute is harvested and made into burlap bags for U.S. coffee importers.
3. The cotton textile scraps and the burlap bags are recycled into sustainable cooler liners.
4. A jute/cotton cooler arrives on your doorstep, full of KOL Foods meat and poultry.
5. You compost the jute/cotton fiber through your municipality and it returns to the earth.
Our Jute & Cotton Cooler boxes consist of three parts: 1. a cardboard box, 2. a jute/cotton fiber liner, and 3. a plastic bag that encases the jute/cotton fiber. All three can be disposed of in an eco-friendly way.
Recycle it! Recycle the plastic encasement at your local grocery store or recycling center and recycle the cardboard box through your regular curbside pick-up. Incidentally, the plastic encasement is made from 85%-100% recycled plastic.
Take the jute/cotton fiber out of the plastic encasement and compost it through your municipality. [Composting Guide
Throw it out! The jute/cotton material is made from textile waste and old burlap bags which would normally go straight into a landfill. So if you toss it, you are not adding new material to landfills. These coolers take up 5-8 times less space than a Styrofoam cooler would - guilt free!
Reuse it! If you live near KOL Foods HQ in Silver Spring MD, bring in the jute/cotton liner with the cardboard box for reuse and we will give you store credit.