1 cup finely chopped shallots (4 large)
½ cup finely chopped peeled ginger
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup red‐wine vinegar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 cups apricot preserves OR 3/4 cup apricot preserves and 3/4 cup honey
1 KOL Foods chicken (~4 lbs; for larger or smaller chickens, adjust the amount of marinade)
8 oz dried apricots
1. Cook shallots and ginger in oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in vinegar and boil until reduced by about half, about 5 minutes.
3. Add soy sauce, preserves, and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
4. Purée sauce in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), then cool to room temperature.
5. Put the chicken in a resealable bag and pour marinade over it. Seal bag, pressing out excess air, and marinate, chilled, turning bag over occasionally, at least 8 hours (up to 24 hours).
6. Preheat oven to 425°F.
7. Stuff chicken with apricots and roast (with marinade poured over chicken) in a lightly oiled roasting pan. After 10-15 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F and baste. Roast chicken for another hour and a quarter (about 20 minutes/lb), basting halfway through, until deep brown, cooked through, and glazed.
If you have a meat thermometer, the chicken is ready when a meat thermometer inserted into the inner thigh
(close to but not touching the thigh bone) reads at least 165°F.