5 lbs grass‐finished 2nd cut brisket
4 ½ quarts of water
2 lbs kosher salt
1. Heat water to dissolve salt then let cool completely.
2. Stab thawed roast about 60 times with a long‐tined meat fork.
3. Pour salt water into a #3 ceramic crock and submerge roast into it.
4. Weight down the roast with a plate and brick or jar of water. Place crock in a cool place and cover with kitchen towel.
5. Let sit for 9 days, turning every day or so.
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 bay leaves
1 onion, quartered
2 teaspoons nutmeg
¼ cup vinegar
1. Rinse roast, then place in a stockpot filled with enough water to cover roast 1 inch.
2. Bring to slow boil, then pour off water, rinse out pot and refill with enough water to cover roast 1 inch.
3. While water is heating add brown sugar, bay leaves, onion, nutmeg, and vinegar.
4. Cover and bring to slow boil, then simmer until meat falls off of a fork or skewer (about 3 hours).
5. Serve with mashed potatoes or for an easy potluck, break up the meat and stir into potatoes and serve in a crock pot.