This is the soup I made with [KOL Foods chicken bones]: rich, rib-sticking, comforting and wonderful. The liquid gels when it’s chilled. The way it’s supposed to.
Bones and Vegetable Soup
3-4 pounds meaty chicken bones
12 cups water
2/3 cup barley
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup dried mushroom pieces, soaked, softened and chopped
3-4 carrots, sliced
2-3 stalks celery, sliced
2 parsnips, sliced
8 sprigs fresh dill
6 sprigs fresh parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 small zucchini, diced
1 cup frozen peas
1. Place the chicken in a soup pot and cover with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Lower the heat to a simmer and for the next several minutes, discard the debris that comes to the surface.
3. Add the barley, onions, mushrooms, carrots, celery, parsnips, dill, parsley and salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, for one hour.
4. Add the beans, zucchini and peas and cook for another 50-60 minutes.
5. Remove the bones and cut off bits of chicken; place the chicken meat back into the soup. Discard the bones.
Makes 8 servings