One whole chicken (2-3lb)
One onion, no bigger than a tennis ball
One or two heads of garlic
Your favorite root vegetable (parsnips, carrots or potatoes are great choices)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
2. Make my traditional spice rub by combining 2 teaspoons each of garlic powder and paprika mixed with one teaspoon of white pepper and half a teaspoon of salt.
3. Pat down the outside of the chicken with a paper towel so that it is dry.
4. Peel back the skin of the chicken and generously apply the spice rub to the flesh.
5. Put the chicken skin back and add a little more seasoning to the top of the skin.
6. Peel an onion and put it inside the middle of the chicken.
7. Peel and slice your root vegetables, drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of a baking pan and line with your vegetables.
8. Cut your heads of garlic in half and put them in the baking pan, place the chicken on top.
9. Cook, uncovered, at 425 degrees for 45 minutes, then cover and continue to cook at 375 degrees until the internal temperature reads 165 (likely 15-30 more minutes, depending on the size of the chicken).