by Gidon van Emden
2.5 lbs KOL Foods pastured turkey gizzards
1 pint white vinegar
½ cup sugar
1.5 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons pickling spices (according to preference; may include bay leaf, coriander seed, cloves, celery seed, peppercorns, allspice, juniper berries, chili flakes, mustard seed etc.)
1 medium onion, sliced
½ lemon, sliced
1. Bake gizzards at 275° for 3-4 hours or until cooked through and let cool.
2. Remove all fat from the gizzards and cut into bite-size pieces.
3. Combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, dry mustard and gizzards in a stainless steel pan.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Layer the gizzards, the sliced onion and the lemon in a jar.
6. Pour the brine over and let set in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days.